As a premier home builder in New Jersey, Ralco Builders knows the importance of having a home that suits your unique needs and preferences. While buying an existing home might seem like the easiest option, we’re here to show you why building a house could be a more beneficial choice.
Building a House
Building a house is a journey of discovery, creativity, and accomplishment. It’s about seeing your dreams morph into reality, brick by brick, nail by nail. As per recent data from Rocket Mortgage, the average sales price of new houses sold in January 2023 was $474,400 – a price that includes the joy of customization and the guarantee of new, efficient materials.
While the cost of building a house might seem high at first glance, it’s important to note that these costs include expenses that you’d otherwise have to bear at a later date when buying a pre-owned home. These include the cost of new major appliances, permits, utilities, excavation, and landscape preparation.
Also, when building a home, you have to consider construction and land loans. These are typically higher than a standard home loan but remember, you’re financing your dream, not just a house.
Pros and Cons of Building a House
- Complete customization of floor plan and design
- No competition for your dream home
- Newer materials without potentially dangerous substances
- Better energy efficiency options
- Fewer ongoing maintenance costs
- More expensive financing with higher down payment and interest rates
- Unexpected costs and delays
- Longer build time compared to buying a home
- More effort in managing the construction process
- Potential for being further from urban areas
Buying an Existing Home
Now, let’s consider buying a pre-owned home. The average sales price of existing homes as of January 2023 was $359,000, which might seem lower. But this doesn’t account for maintenance and repair costs, less energy-efficient appliances, HOA fees, or potential compromises on the style of the home.
Pros and Cons of Buying an Existing Home
- Move-in ready condition
- Generally less costly upfront
- Option for home renovations
- Established landscaping
- House buying stress in a competitive market
- Compromise on home style
- Possible maintenance issues
- Less energy efficiency
- Potential presence of hazardous materials (e.g., lead paint)
Ultimately, the decision between building a house versus buying an existing one depends on your unique circumstances, needs, and long-term plans. At Ralco Builders, we’re committed to helping you navigate this decision.
Schedule a free home design consultation with us today and let’s start the journey of building your dream home together.
Ralco Builders 139 Union Ave Manasquan, NJ 08736 (732) 612-0082